Thursday, January 25, 2018

A Brief Interlude to Talk About "Checks"

I use the word "check" a lot, so I want to make sure we're clear on what I mean.

A "check" is a quick tug and release on the leash. Some other terms used by trainers are snap, pop, jerk, or correction. It takes an instant and is over, like a poke or a sneeze.

It is not meant to move the dog by dragging, or choke the dog. It's meant to get his attention back onto you so he's ready and listening when you give a command. It's meant to caution and redirect him if he isn't where he's meant to be.

I found a quick video, since the one I made doesn't want to load. I don't know who this person is, but she's demonstrates a nice leash check.


(After the short video plays, there's more in line after it that are full of silly gimmicks and "training tools" that you do not need to pay any attention to at all, ridiculous stuff.)  

Which leads me into a talk about the amount of force to put into it. You will have to figure this out yourself, because every dog is different. Some are delicate little flowers who get nervous or worried at the slightest touch, and some are hard-headed linebackers.  And it's nothing to do with size or breed -- I walk a 75-pound pitbull that worries if I so much as clear my throat, he's so willing to please, and I also walk a 10-pound chihuahua-terrier mix that I could wallop with a hockey stick and she'd not back down.

I will say this: use as much as necessary, but as little as possible. If your dog ignores you, you need to use a little more pressure. If he cowers or cries out, you're too rough. Try it first in a safe place, at home, where there are no distractions. Just put the leash on and wait, then give a little tug when your dog isn't expecting it. See what it takes to make him turn and look at you; "What's up?" And be sure to tell him what a fine and lovely pup he is for that. Every time he looks at you to see what you want, he's being the best dog ever, and you reward him by being kind and showing him what a nice person you are. Make him want to pay attention.

After the first few times, you might discover that you don't need to use as much force. Your dog has realized that the check on the leash means something, and he's more responsive. You can lighten up, congratulations!  Or maybe your dog is testing you to see if you really mean it and he decides to ignore your check on the leash. Get after him with a second, more stern check to let him know he must listen to you.

Okay, now back to dog walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment