Friday, October 11, 2019

Why Crates are so Great

I was a busy, noisy kid. My imagination led me on wild adventures, and there were times when my mother must have been at her wit's end, with me running through the house yelling, sneakers pounding across the floor, leaving a trail of sandwich crusts, toys, and tracked-in dirt everywhere I went. Just like a dog, really -- except for the sneakers, I guess.

Whenever the noise and mayhem reached a critical level, my mom would yell, "Go to your room!" Lots of times I'd run in, slamming the door and flinging myself on the bed in a burst of tears -- but five minutes later I'd be reading a book or working on a puzzle or even sleeping. My bedroom, with my cozy bed, toys, books, and games was where I could settle down and relax. 

I bet you can see where I'm going with this. Your puppy should see his crate the same way: not a punishment, but a welcoming retreat. 


Image result for puppy in crate

So let's talk about all the times you'll be so glad your dog loves her crate. 

Of course you love your dog and want to be with her always, right? Except when you're trying to finish some important work, or you just mopped the floor, or you need to vacuum the carpet. These are great times to settle pup into her crate with a chewy and shut the door so you can get things done. Maybe you need to run to the store real quick. If pup is in her crate, she won't chew up shoes or TV remotes while you're gone, and there won't be any puddles or piles on the floor. And at night, you'll always know where she is -- no tripping over a sleeping pup when you shuffle to the bathroom in the dark. 

When guests arrive for parties or celebratory meals, pup can say hello and be admired by all and then settled down with a chewy while the humans have their fun. No risk of pup eating things he shouldn't, scampering out the door, getting overexcited and nipping and jumping up, or making a nuisance of himself begging for treats and attention. This is especially useful at Halloween,Thanksgiving, and Christmas, when there are so many people going in and out the door, and so many tempting treats around. 

Crates are great for in the car. Secure it in the cargo space with some straps or bungee cords and it's the best place for your dog, keeping her in place if you suddenly have to hit the brakes or are in an accident. Dogs can be a terrible distraction in the car: climbing over seats, chewing on things they shouldn't, barking, jostling the driver, getting carsick -- it's safest if they are crated, just like a car seat is safest for a child.

Speaking of going places, crates make travel easier, too. If your pup is accustomed to a crate, airline travel will be much less stressful. If you stay at a hotel, your dog will welcome this bit of comfort from home and settle down quickly at night. If you're staying with friends, they will be even friendlier when they know that your pup has good crate manners and his own bed to sleep in. And if you are going to board your dog, think of how pleased he will be when among all the strange new sights and smells, he has a familiar, cozy snug that is his own. 

And if you're lucky enough to work at a place where you can bring your dog, well, I bet you can already think of a bunch of ways a crate at work would be good for you and your pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment