Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Walking a High-energy, Distracted Dog, part Two

 Since my last post, Sherman has improved a lot in his general behavior. His foster mom tells me that he sits promptly when asked, is getting along with her other dog and her cat, and is basically shaping up to be a very nice boy -- though he is still a bit of a handful on walks. She takes him to a dog daycare for half days a few times a week. After a good long play session with other dogs, his attention and behavior is significantly better and he is much more relaxed. 

A tired dog is a good dog!

We've been working on his focus using the command "leave it". I'll kick a rock into the grass and when his head turns toward the rustling, I say "leave it" and give a little check on the leash. When he "redirects" and looks back to me, "good boy!". Whatever little thing takes his attention away (windblown leaves, a squirrel, a bird, a car door opening, etc) gets a "leave it" and when he redirects, "good boy!" It's little stuff, but he's learning that not everything in the world needs his attention. 

His foster mom can use this same command at home. She could toss a pillow on the couch, or drop a spoon in the kitchen, or maybe the cat just walked into the room. "Leave it, Sherman." He's a hunting breed and being observant is part of his DNA, but he'll be more relaxed when we show him that he doesn't have to alert us to every little thing. 

When we are on walks, Sherman is doing pretty well at staying in the "comfort zone" by my side. Some days are better than others. One thing I've noticed is that he would rather do his own thing and take a correction from me than pay attention to where I am. In a perfect world, he would keep an eye on me. He knows he should stay close, but there are just so many interesting things to see and sniff --- how can he make sure he's where he should be without looking? He tries to lean on my leg. If he's touching me, then he knows where I am but he's free to look all around. What a great idea, thinks Sherman. I'm the smartest dog ever!

Except this leaning is unacceptable! When Sherman tries to lean on my leg, I bump him with my knee and say "Get away!" He needs to pay attention.

Another trick he has is to go to the absolute limit of the comfort zone and then lean on the leash. It's not exactly pulling on the leash, but it requires more work from me to keep him in his place. I check him back, and he's fine for a stride or two, and then he goes right back to it. I check him back, and check him back and check him back and check-- well, the whole walk could be one big check fest, and my arm gets tired. I'm working too hard, and that means I'm not making enough of an impression when I tell him to stop his behavior. It's time to do something different. 


I'm cautious when using a prong collar. (Read more about my thoughts on collars here.) I don't like using them without a regular collar, because I've had them suddenly pop apart and then the dog is loose! I want to be very specific when I apply pressure, and it could be very easy to confuse or frighten Sherman if he gets "pronged" when I don't intend. 

I've got him on my left hand with leather leash and his regular martingale collar, and the prong collar is loose on his neck while tied to a piece of light cord I hold in my right hand. He can put his full weight onto the leather leash and won't feel a thing from the prong collar. But the instant I want to, I can tug with my right hand and make an impression, and I can do so very diplomatically and be very light. 

How much pressure do I use with my right hand for that prong collar? Well, that depends. My rule is: as little as possible, but as much as necessary. I don't want to be ignored, but I also don't want to hurt or frighten my buddy Sherman. Let's go for a walk and see how we do.

We walk along fine for a block or so, and then he starts his trick of leaning on the leash. I give a check on his regular collar and he corrects, but a few strides later, he's doing it again. I check on the regular collar and then the prong collar right afterwards, just enough to get his attention. What was that? thinks Sherman. That was unpleasant. 

A minute later, he's at it again. I check him with the regular collar, and then again with the prong collar, a bit more this time. Wow, no thank you! thinks Sherman.

The first check is a warning. I want him to listen to it and back off. It doesn't take him long to learn; the next time he leans on the leash and I check him with the regular collar, he halts in his tracks completely. He doesn't want that prong collar poking him! Big praise for Sherman! Good boy!

He walks very carefully for a while. I can see the gears in his brain working over this new development. Then, almost like he's testing a theory, he starts to pull ahead a little. Check regular collar, then check with the prong --and his ears go back a little as his suspicion is confirmed: Best to listen the first time, yup. 

He's a smart dog. I won't have to use this prong collar for very long, maybe just one more walk or so. I'll let you know how it goes. 

This is long enough, and actually, it's time for me to go walk Sherman. I'll see you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment